VIEWING JOB DETAILS FOR:
As a member of the municipal Corporate Services team, the position is responsible for assisting in the provision of financial analysis and guidance for the organization. The Financial Analyst engages with other service areas to establish and maintain capital asset ledgers, ensuring compliance with established Public Sector accounting guidelines. Coordinates and prepares submissions to the appropriate government agencies for subsidy and grants claims related to capital and operating programs and projects. Performs research and analysis regarding proposed financial policies and makes recommendations to senior staff as required. This position is responsible for coordinating the implementation of the Municipality’s asset management plan and processes.
- Assist other Municipal Departments with documenting asset information and data collection processes among all Municipal departments
- Document asset data workflow, updating the municipal asset management software as required
- Assist in documenting and preparing asset management reporting
- Assist in developing asset management policies and training modules
- Work with all Municipal departments in reviewing and maintaining asset level of service definitions and performance measurement procedures
- Assist in drafting and reviewing asset risk assessment protocols
- Assist in the development of financial planning and investment strategies in order to support asset management
- Investigate and recommend asset management best practices
- Responsible to ensure all asset management information is accurate and complete and updated
- Analyzes and reconciles various general ledger and sub-ledger accounts; prepares appropriate general journal entries and year-end audit working papers. Perform reconciliations for a number of bank accounts held by the Municipality.
- Assists with general accounting functions such as accounts payable and accounts receivables.
- Responsible for general payables, accrued liabilities, holdbacks and prepaid assets.
- Assist in establishing the annual operating and capital municipal budgets; including the templates, coordination, and consolidation under the direction of the Director of Corporate Services and Manager of Finance. Provides analysis to assist department heads in development departmental budgets and compiling departmental budgets for presentation to the Leadership Team.
- Assist the team in the preparation of the annual audit, including preparation of requested documentation and assist with audit inquiries from various government departments and agencies.
- Responsible to ensure all accounting activities shall be in compliance with Public Sector Accounting Standards.
- Seeks process improvement opportunities and suggests changes to the
- Manager of Finance and Director of Corporate Services.
- Maintains drainage maintenance and construction sub-ledger, balancing to the General ledger and assists Drainage Superintendent in applying to OMAFRA for drain maintenance and construction grants.
- Shall support in the development and continuous reporting of the long range financial plan and short range financial forecast and identify variances from plan
- Prepares and files all grant requirements (schedules) and ensures compliance with associated agreements including federal gas tax, Ontario community infrastructure fund, etc. Provides other supporting documentation and information as required to ensure compliance with respective funding agreements.
- Manage and adhere to capital asset accounting policy and maintain both the asset and fixed asset ledger. Ensure data is reliable and accuracy is maintained for all assets including work in progress and fleet assets. Records acquisitions, disposals, calculates amortization, work in progress, prepares audit schedules and drafts financial statement notes for auditors. Reconciles data to asset management data.
- Monitors hydro and gas records with LAS and responsible for the commodity hedging and tracking.
- Provides proactive internal consulting services to departments on ongoing financial or asset management matters.
- Assist with the development and enforcement of internal controls relating to approval, authorization and accountability to properly adhere to accounting standards.
- Provides supporting financial information and undertakes analysis as required to support internal departments.
- Maintains effective and co-operative liaison, and exchanges information, with other staff, municipalities, government agencies, other organizations, members of the public, etc.; receives and responds to inquiries and complaints; deals with all contacts in a courteous, friendly and efficient manner to promote a high standard of customer service and public relations at all times.
- Undertakes special projects and studies as assigned and prepares reports and recommendations.
Other Related Responsibilities
- Answers general questions on municipal operations where knowledge permits.
- As required, acts as first point of contact in the office for the public, answering inquiries over the telephone or in person, providing routine information and referring caller/visitor to appropriate staff member when needed.
- As required, provides assistance to other Finance positions and carries out other related duties as assigned.
- Contributes to departmental goals and objectives and recommend new or improved ways to perform the finance function.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned in accordance with corporate objectives.
- As a member of the municipal team, will be responsible for serving the citizens of Middlesex Centre by meeting the resident’s needs and expectations, striving to be the best through attitude, training and creativity. Representing the municipality as a strong, integrated organization dedicated to high quality, viable services.
- Responsible for records management with respect to finance related records.
- University degree in Finance, Commerce, Business/Public Administration or related discipline
- Three (3) to five (5) years’ experience in the accounting and finance field, preferably in a municipal environment.
- Strong knowledge of legislation and policies that affect municipal finance, accounting and reporting with current emphasis on the pace and uncertainty of changes in this area. Strong knowledge of
- Municipal operations, including requirements for security and confidentiality of certain data.
- Strong knowledge of the Public Sector Accounting Board Section 3150 as it relates to Tangible Capital Assets.
- Thorough working knowledge of accounting/administrative processes and protocol, general office equipment operation, customer/public relations principles in a service-excellence environment; an
- understanding of municipal structure, processes, policies and procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal, project/time management, analytical, communication, presentation, public/media relations, problem-solving skills, research and report-writing skills.
- Ability to interact effectively and courteously with all levels of staff and contacts in a political and community/client focused environment; build cooperative, collaborative working relationships with internal and external customers and vendors.
- Computer literacy utilizing word-processing, spreadsheet, email, presentation and database software (Microsoft Office system), and the Internet; experience with Municipal accounting software is an asset.
- Self-motivated and goal-oriented, capable of working in a dynamic and challenging work environment.
- Availability to accommodate deadlines, meeting attendance and peak periods that may extend beyond the normal workday or occur on evenings/weekends as may be required.
- Valid Class ‘G’ Driver’s license and reliable vehicle to use on corporate business.
Note: As a condition of employment, the incumbent must provide a successful criminal and vulnerable persons screening and background check while showing a clean driver’s abstract.
- CPA designation or actively working towards obtaining a recognized professional accounting designation (CPA).
- 4 to 5 years of progressive experience in the accounting/finance field, preferably in the municipal field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working with Laser Fiche
- Experience working with Keystone Computer Resources
Interested applicants, visit this website to submit your application