VIEWING JOB DETAILS FOR:
MUNICIPALITY OF THAMES CENTRE ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGIST
Thames Centre, is a modern thriving Municipality situated on the eastern boundary of the city of London, Ontario. We offer the convenience of urban living with the less hectic pace of life in a community where neighbours and friends are often the same people. Our proximity to highways 401, 402 and 403 make Thames Centre's geographic location an ideal place to live, work and play.
Thames Centre invites qualified applicants for the full-time position of Engineering Technologist.
Reporting to the Director of Public Works, the Engineering Technologist evaluates and coordinates land development related issues for Transportation, Environmental Services and Drainage; assists with technical assessments on traffic operations and/or studies; coordinates utility related activities; assists in establishing present and future infrastructure needs for the municipality; provides technical assistance to Public Works staff; performs GPS surveys, stakeouts and locates, designs infrastructure, preparation of cost estimates and contract documents; administers and provides inspection regarding in-house engineering projects; assists with the preparation, coordination and compiling of review comments on development submissions received by the Municipality to ensure adherence to plans, specifications, and conditions to satisfy the Municipality’s Engineering Standards and industry best practices. In addition, the Engineering Technologist is responsible to investigate traffic concerns and provide technical guidance to resolving those concerns.
MAIN DUTIES - NATURE AND SCOPE:
- Prepares proposal, quotation and tender calls including the preparation of terms of reference, preliminary work plans, technical specifications, and reports to Council.
- Responsible for preparation of cost estimates for capital and operating budgets and tendering purposes.
- Ensures effective project management, contract administration and site inspection for various engineered infrastructure including roads, bridges, sidewalks, water, wastewater and stormwater capital and operating projects, as required.
- Monitors construction projects and prepares and reviews payment certificates for projects completed by outside contractors.
- Design, procure cost estimates, prepare design plans and contract documents, administer and provide inspection for in-house engineering projects.
- Negotiates and resolves issues, disputes, and financial claims with consultants and contractors.
- Assists with the utility municipal consent process.
- Assist with the review and approval of the location of all requests to install utilities such as hydro, gas, telephone, internet and cable within the municipal/public rights-of-way.
- Assists in the preparation of road, culvert, water and wastewater grant applications through the provision of technical and engineering information throughout the grant application process.
- As required, coordinates and / or participates in long range infrastructure and other infrastructure planning studies to identify community transportation, water, wastewater, and stormwater infrastructure needs.
- Assist the Director of Public Works with creation of maintenance standards for municipal works.
- Assists from time to time in the roads maintenance section with supervision of employees, layout for maintenance and construction projects, and performing documented infrastructure inspections.
- As required, is involved with the maintenance of road, culvert, sidewalk, water, wastewater, and stormwater infrastructure inventories.
- Investigates and responds to traffic complaints, resident concerns, and resolves general deficiencies in the overall transportation network.
- Oversee, schedule, monitor, and maintain the Municipality’s traffic count program.
- Evaluate subdivision servicing plans, technical reports, and studies as submitted by developers and oversee the construction and supervision of services within subdivisions. Co-ordinate technical comments for Transportation, Environmental Services, and Drainage.
- Investigate and report on problems and complaints from citizens relating to utilities, development and public works operations, as directed.
- Provide pertinent records for inclusion in the Municipality’s GIS files and possess the ability to access files in ArcGIS format and to assist with updating data periodically. Assist with the updating of the Municipality’s fixed assets on a regular basis.
- Operates a variety of engineering and survey equipment (survey level, GPS, etc.) to assist in preengineering surveys, quantity calculations, drainage projects, horizontal and vertical curve layout etc. • Draft detailed design and construction drawings in AutoCAD as requested. • Develop, draft and maintain as-built drawings for projects in AutoCAD. • Supervise site testing and arrange for all necessary laboratory testing of construction materials to verify compliance with quality standards.
- Respond to project-related complaints and inquiries and propose solutions or explanations.
- Provides engineering information to consultants, Council, other Government agencies, staff and the private sector.
- Conducts research as directed by the Director of Public Works.
- Arrange and prepare minutes for Public Works departmental meetings.
- Other duties as required.
- Successful completion of a three (3) year community college diploma in Environmental Engineering Technology, Civil Engineering Technology or equivalent education.
- A minimum of three (3) years of previous experience in design and project management of vertical and/or linear municipal infrastructure.
- Certified or eligible for certification as a Certified Engineering Technologist by the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT).
- Technical knowledge of transportation, water distribution, wastewater collection, stormwater, collection/management, infrastructure planning, engineering design, project, management, and construction, plus knowledge of operational and financial matters as they relate to infrastructure projects.
- A thorough knowledge of Municipal Engineering practices and procedures.
- Experience in preparing tenders and quotations as well as evaluating tenders.
- Required computer experience includes Microsoft Office products and engineering software such as AutoCAD and ArcGIS for GIS applications, asset management databases and electronic workorder service request systems.
- Knowledge of the provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, including WHMIS.
- The individual must possess and maintain a valid Class “G” driver’s license. A satisfactory Driver’s Abstract is required. Access to a personal vehicle for work-related purposes is a requirement of this position.
- Valid and satisfactory Police Records Check.
PHYSICAL EFFORT & WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Minimum 35 hours per week during regular office working hours.
- Required to interact politely and effectively with the general public.
- Frequent site inspections and exposure to outside weather conditions in all seasons.
- Must be physically fit and able to stand for long periods at a time.
- Potential for exposure to typical construction hazards.
- Frequent work on construction sites with varying disagreeable elements such as uneven ground conditions, inclement weather, dust, human bodily waste, noise, and odours.
- This position may be required to work extended hours as necessary including occasional attendance at Council and Committee meetings.
Salary for this position is currently under review.
Hours of work can vary considerably with overtime required.
A comprehensive benefit package is included.How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit a resume outlining qualifications and experience by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, July 10, 2020 to:
Carlos Reyes, MPA, MEng(c), P.Eng Director of Public Works
Municipality of Thames Centre
4305 Hamilton Rd. Dorchester, ON, N0L 1G3
The Municipality of Thames Centre is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. All applicants are thanked for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be further contacted. Information gathered is under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and shall only be used for candidate selection purposes.