VIEWING JOB DETAILS FOR:
Road Work II
The County of Middlesex is a vibrant upper-tier municipality located in Southwestern Ontario. We offer a thriving business climate, easy access to transportation routes, and quality of life. Middlesex County offers residents easy commutes, safe communities, a diverse economy, exceptional healthcare facilities, affordable housing, diverse educational opportunities and bountiful recreation and cultural choices in a picturesque setting.
This position is assigned to fully qualified road employees capable of constructing and maintaining roads, roadsides, culverts, bridges, safety devices, equipment, and performing winter control operations under the direction of County foremen.
- Operates trucks, tractors, mowers, loaders, packer, boom truck, chainsaw, pickup, and miscellaneous power and hand tools.
- Performs hard top and loose top surface maintenance by: hauling and spreading granular materials, machine and hand asphalt patching, spray patching, hauling and spreading granular materials.
- Performs roadside maintenance by mowing grass, trimming/removing of brush and trees, hauling material, cleaning and repair of storm sewers, catch basins, culverts, hand patching of shoulders, filling of washouts, repairing, adjusting and installing signs, cleaning curbs and gutters, picking up litter and debris.
- Performs construction assignments such as loading, hauling and spreading material, installing culverts, catch basins, sewers, sub-drains, placing riprap and baskets, constructs form work, places reinforcing steel, places and finishes concrete, removes concrete from structures, and other related construction activities.
- Performs Winter Maintenance operations by plowing roadways to remove snow and ice, sanding and salting roadways, loading trucks with sand and salt, patrolling roads documenting road conditions and advising foremen\crew leaders of road conditions.
- Provides routine vehicle maintenance and light repairs on assigned vehicle and equipment.
- Rebuilds, installs, maintains and removes snow removal and ice control equipment.
- Patrols roads in summer, advises foremen of road conditions, and documents road conditions.
- Disposes of dead animals on the road allowance.
- Checks, adjusts, installs and removes signs, safety devices, delineators, and guide rails. Manufactures signs and operates sign shop equipment.
- Flags traffic.
- Maintains bridges, cleans and paints structural steel, cleans and oils bridge bearings. Waterproof bridge decks and operates waterproofing equipment.
- Brings to the attention of the District Foreman any unusual situations on the right-of-way.
- Cleans, maintains, and repairs District Garages and yards as directed.
- Subject to call-outs outside of regular hours for maintenance and Winter Control work.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Grade l2 or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Class “D” license (Z endorsement required.)
- One to Two years’ previous construction and maintenance experience.
- Good working knowledge of road safety practices.
This is a temporary position for winter maintenance from November to April. The successful candidate must be available to work various shifts, weekends and statutory holidays, and must be available on short notice for call in shifts. The starting wage rate for the Road Worker II position is $27.32 per hour.How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their cover letter and resume to Rebecca Zeldon, Human Resources and Employee Wellness Advisor, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, September 30, 2022.